Monday, February 25, 2013

Keeping Up


Posted by Maggie

Something I keep hearing both in relation to cancer (which I’m tired of writing about, and plan to minimize now that I’m getting well) also relates to art, and that’s attitude.

As you may know if you’ve followed my blog, when I was first diagnosed, after the initial shock, my determination was to beat this thing. I decided to hit on all fronts: radiation, chemo, steroids, and the drugs the doctors recommended. On my side, diet, acupuncture, and attitude. In the end, I am not certain but what attitude is the most important.

Years ago, as part of my t’ai chi study, I read a book by Dan Millman, Way of the Peaceful Warrior, which has to do in part with developing and improving physical ability through visualization. There was a story he told about coaching students to visualize successfully completing an exercise. One young woman had trouble with the balance beam so he told her to visualize crossing it. When she made funny noises he asked what was happening. “I keep falling off,” she said.

Too many times, I hear “I can’t do that. I can’t draw. I can’t get it right. “

If you say things like that, however you believe or understand the universal life force/God/higher power, you’re putting those words out there. Listener, who doubtless has a lot of other things to do, hears repeatedly, “I can’t draw,” and gives what you’re asking for. Wouldn’t it be better to have what you ask for and get be, “I’m improving my drawing every day.”

 Don’t visualize falling off your painting.





Just so every blog has a painting, here is one I like because it illustrates the choice: when the wave comes in or goes out, what will you do?
Incoming,  4x6 oil, © Maggie Price 2013, $180. 


Please select;

No comments:

Post a Comment